Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church

A Cornerstone of Faith.....

A Beacon of Light

 

 

 

Hilltown, Pennsylvania 18927
(215) 822-9224

 

History of Our Parish

 

 

The first Mass was celebrated in the new church on Christmas Eve, 1979. From that point on, the five Sunday Masses at Hilltown and two at Dublin were cut to four. The mission in Dublin was closed and the property sold. The original church continues to be used for Daily Masses, small weddings, and funerals.

 

As Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Parish continued to grow and flourish, it became evident that our church was no longer adequate to handle the ever increasing membership. The Archdiocese gave us permission to go forward with the following improvements: increased seating, from 500 to 950 plus, permanent pews, and beautification and enlargement of our Church and parking areas.

 

Several hundred parishioners participated in the Campaign Fund for pledges and were successful in exceeding the Archdiocese building requirement of $800,000. We are most grateful for the wonderful support, enthusiasm, and generosity of our parish.

Construction started in October 1999. During that period of renovation, Mass was being held in the gymnasium of Our Lady of the Heart School.

 

The new church was completed in September of 2000. The first Mass was celebrated at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 16, 2000 with a full house and much applause.

 

Through snow, sleet and freezing rain, Anthony Cardinal Bevilacqua arrived to dedicate the church on January 20, 2001. The ceremony was beautiful and all of the invited clergy managed to make the trip in spite of the weather.

 

Cardinal Bevilaqua stayed after the Mass to meet the parishioners at a special reception held in the school gymnasium.

From a handful of people at the first Mass in 1919, the Parish was now grown to more than 1600 families.